Also called internet marketing, online marketing
Digital marketing includes any marketing which occurs online, such as advertising which encourages website visitors to purchase products or services.
The term digital marketing generally includes all forms of internet advertising, and internet marketing (the practice of using online communications to sell a service or product). Social media marketing and search engine marketing are online marketing channels, as is using email marketing.
Digital marketing is a marketing strategy that makes use of digital platforms and channels to reach consumers. It is important to note that digital marketing is not solely digital marketing. It consists of multi-channel marketing, which just means marketers can use more than one digital tactic (e.g., search ads, email and social media) to reach consumers.
Many marketers are combining digital with offline (such as TV, radio and direct mail), as well as offline with online (such as SMS, kiosk advertising and influencer marketing).
What are Some Digital Marketing Channels?
Some common basic digital marketing channels are:
- SEO – SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization, which helps you rank high in search results.
- SEM – SEM stands for Search Engine Marketing, which is paid advertising.
- Email Marketing – Email Marketing allows you to send out targeted emails.
- Social Media Marketing – Social Media Marketing helps spread your brand/message through social media.
Benefits of digital marketing
Some benefits of digital marketing, include:
- Increased audience reach. Digital marketing allows for advertisers to reach consumers through online channels such as search engines, websites, and email. Digital channels such as social media give marketers the potential to reach consumers through social channels such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Snapchat.
- Cost effective. Digital marketing, particularly search marketing, is very cost-efficient, with pay-per-click (PPC) marketing through search engines such as Google or Bing typically being much less expensive than other forms of advertising.
- More measurable. Digital marketing allows for tracking and analysis, especially when multi-channel marketing is used.
- More targeted. Digital marketing, particularly through social media, allows for a much more targeted audience than traditional media.
- Higher conversion rates. Digital marketing allows for online conversion tracking and optimization based on its better trackability.