If you are an Amazon Affiliate using Associate-O-Matic (commonly abbreviated AOM) – You Need This FREE Script
Associate-O-Matic is without a doubt one of the best Amazon affiliate store creation platforms available. And After you factor in the price of it – $99 to start plus $20 yearly license renewal – then it beats all other competitors hands down. Despite this, the AOM has a few search engine optimization (SEO) issues that I, as a professional SEO, find extremely difficult to overlook.
SEO Restriction & Associate-O-Matic
As far as I am concerned, the biggest of AOM’s SEO restrictions are that it does not allow users to assign specify title and Meta tags to any site pages. What AOM does provide is a programmatic solution which allows a user to create template based Meta tags. Many ecommerce site with thousands of SKU’s use formulaic Meta tags, which in many cases is the only real way to ensure that each page has its own unique title and Meta tag. But because Meta tag automation is formulated, the output of these pages is limited. So if you want to optimize the title tag of an individual page for a single competitive regimen term, then automated tagging solutions may not get the job done. This is the problem that I kept running into with AOM.
Plus, between all the category pages, numerous shorting options, and tons of URL parameters AOM creates a lot of duplicated pages on your site. Yes, AOM does allow the user to add the nofollow link attribute to prevent the search engines from assigning search equity to duplicated pages, but generally using the nofollow link attribute in this manner is deprecated. There are much better ways of doing this – namely by using the “no index, no follow” and canonical Meta tags. My script enables you to specify a canonical URL and to block spiders from crawling duplicate pages within AOM.
The FREE Associate-O-Matic Meta Tag Script
Faced with these problems, I decided to create an AOM add-on script that would give me some closure as an SEO purist. This script essentially replaces the content within the tag with your own data for any AOM page that you specify. You can see the script in action here. Here are some of the features of The Free Associate-O-Matic Meta Tag Script:
- Specify Title and Meta Tags for ANY AOM page!
- Easy installation. Just change few settings in the script, FTP it to your site and toggle one setting in the AOM console and you’re up in running.
- Gets the job done in the easiest way possible. No database required. Written in PHP and very easy to customize if you desire.
- Lazy man technical support. Ask a question in the comment section of the post and I’ll provide an answer when I can.
- Free. No charge for something that can dramatically boost Google traffic to your Associate-O-Matic Amazon Affiliate website.
2. Open the file called get_meta.php with a text editor like Textpad.
4. FTP the file called get_meta.php to the root directory of your site.
5. Go to the Admin console in Associate-O-Matic. Make your way to Settings –>Site. Once here, populate the Site Header field with “get_meta.php”, then click “Save All Settings”. AOM will now check to see if you have specified Meta data for a URL before creating the page.
6. Open and edit the metatags.txt file in a text editor. This is the file where you will assign unique Meta Data to any page on your site.
7. For each URL you wish to customize the Meta data for, you must supply 5 pieces of information – title tag, description meta tag, keyword meta tag, canonical meta tag, and robots meta tag. You must use a pipe (“|”) to separate each field in the format:
*URL of page to change|Your Title Tag|Your Meta Keyword Tag|Your Meta Description Tag|Your Canonical Tag|Robots Index Tag
*Use relative URLs to specify the page you want to add custom Meta information to.
*All data pertaining to a URL should go on the same line. Start a new line for each URL.
shop.php|Home Office Supplies, Office Furniture, Office Computers – TheHomeOfficeDepot.com|home office furniture desk, office supplies, home office furniture, wholesale office supplies|The HomeOffice Depot is a one stop source for discount office supplies, office electronics, & office furniture for the homeoffice so you can get work done|http://www.thehomeofficedepot.com/|index, follow
8. Save the changes to metatags.txt and upload it to the root directory of your site.
9. Go to the URL you specified custom data for and test it out.
This Script Is Link-ware
This script is free, but if you like it please shoot me back a link. Also, feel free to tell others about it in any place online that discuss Associate-O-Matic, The Amazon Affiliate Program, and creating dynamic Meta data.
FREE Video Training for Internet Marketers
Get insider tips on how to make more money from your internet marketing efforts. Here’s what you get:
- Ultimate Entrepreneur eCourse
- The Online Profit Training
- SEO Traffic Building Coaching Call (pre-recorded)
- Blogging for Newbies eCourse